Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Yesterday, for the first time in months, I went into a grocery store. The experience was stressful, but doable, though I'd like to not do it again for a while. Most people did wear masks. The rare ones who didn't were (big surprise) 100-percent white men. Aisles weren't crowded. The employees were friendly and brave. I found everything on my list, though rice, flour, paper, and cleaning supplies were spotty. I'm relieved that chore is over.

I wince at the news. I cry at the news. My eyes open and close. I water the small plants and watch the ferns unfurl. This afternoon Paul and I will drive out to the plant nursery. Temperatures are rising. Summer is really on its way. I wonder how I can be happy, with such misery in the world. I wonder how I can be sad, with such a fortune on my plate. The cardinal sings and sings among the maples.

No comments: