Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Yesterday started out cool but blossomed into a gift--bright skies, sunshine, the garden new-washed and greening. Chives are tall; sorrel is thickening. Radishes, spinach, and peas are spreading their infant leaves. Sage and thyme sprout fresh growth amid last fall's dusty branches. Primula is blooming; so are daffodils and grape hyacinths. Peony shoots stretch their red feathery arms.

Early in the morning I hung sheets on the line, then did some writing and talked to my Chicago son. At 9 I had my yoga class, and afterward I started work on a new editing project. Midday I went out to visit three curbs. First, I coiled through the byzantine streets of Westbrook to obtain 10 pounds of King Arthur flour and 5 pounds of sugar from a restaurant that is selling off its baking supplies. Then I wandered among warehouse roads (an odd clutter of World War monickers: Eisenhower, Pershing, McArthur, Bradley) to get the fruit, butter, and hand sanitizer (the first bottle I've been able to find since this mess started) which I'd ordered from a restaurant-wholesaler-turned-please-just-buy-our-stuff company. Then I stopped at a specialty market to get bagels and salad greens.

At home I texted my neighbor and we met outside to distance-barter some of our loot: she had too much celery; I had an extra grapefruit and a whole watermelon. One fine side-effect of this pandemic is that I've gotten much friendlier with her, now that we're both home all the time. Another is, lord, how I love my yoga class--not so much for the exercise (though that's good) but for redirecting my pinging brain. Just the sound of my teacher's voice is a balm.

Paul spent all afternoon "in class" on the sunny front stoop. I pottered in the garden: weeding, cutting chives, stringing trellis for future scarlet runners. When Tom came home, the two of us went for a bike ride in the cemetery and stopped to listen to peepers and bullfrogs flirting in the duck ponds. For dinner I made penne with spicy tomato sauce and a big salad. We ate watermelon for dessert.

The present tense, the present tense. I tried to stay there yesterday, and mostly succeeded. I tried to concentrate on the sweetness . . . a fresh pineapple on the counter, a spring wind in my hair.

Today I need to record myself reading a poem, for a project that the Maine Women's Writing Center is putting together. I need to answer some interview questions about my work in the archive. I need to call my parents and my sister. I need to edit a manuscript. I need to roast a chicken. I need to I need to.

And the days travel on.

3 comments:

David X. Novak said...

Our cemetary is closed except "by appointment only" now if you want to visit. I suppose it would be swarming otherwise.

Dawn Potter said...

Thankfully, ours remains open, and people are behaving well there. But it's a smaller city, so easier to keep in check. My son has been mourning the loss of the Chicago waterfront. He says it's pretty hard to find green space these days.

Ruth said...

"I need to, I need to"Those are nearly as dangerous as I should have, could have ought to have. Those little nagging paper cuts to our minds and soul.