Friday, March 20, 2020

Rain and drizzle all day yesterday. When Paul and I went out for a walk around Back Cove, spring came out to greet us: cool, humid, the breeze a mild hand in our hair. My glasses were spattered with rain. The tide was out; we smelled sea-mud and salt. Gulls prodded the briny rivulets, and the bare-armed linden trees along the gravel path glittered in the mist.

More rain on the way today. The garden is glad. Everywhere, green is spiking and uncurling. For dinner last night, I cut a handful of new sorrel, some infant chive shoots. Blue scylla is beginning to open; yellow and violet crocuses gleam. So far I've planted peas, radishes, arugula, spinach, and every day I run out to see if they've sprouted yet.

Now, in the dark hour, Tom is making a sandwich for work. Paul is sleeping. The cat is licking a catnip mouse. I am not hauling the trash to the curb, though I should be. Within an hour, after I start laundry and wash breakfast dishes, I'll read some Rilke and Blake and begin working on a student poetry contest I've been asked to judge. Eventually I'll get to my editing-du-jour: a book about community organizing in Boston Chinatown; a new translation of a 1980s Brazilian novel.

Tonight's menu at Cafe Quarantine: falafel, whole-wheat pita, carrot-kohlrabi slaw, yogurt-tahini sauce. I'm making the falafel from my father's home-grown dried baby limas. The carrots are also my father's, from last fall's storage crop. The kohlrabi I bought on Sunday--the last day I was inside any sort of store. The boy and I might make the pitas together. Probably I'll slice up some oranges for dessert, unless P is in a cookie-baking mood.

In the evenings, we've been playing cards, reading books, listening to music. We drift off to our own rooms and back together into the common ones. We have candles at dinner, and cloth napkins, and pretty dishes. We sit by the fire and watch idiotic YouTube videos. We complain when we learn that the Red Sox ace needs Tommy John surgery, as if he had any chance of pitching this year anyway. We argue about whether or not unicycles are the world's stupidest form of transportation. Tempers are reasonably serene, though gloom settles upon us and we're all strangely exhausted, as if we've been up all night in a bus station.

I call my parents often. I talk to my older son every afternoon. I text my sister. I talk to my Monson and Frost Place teams. I chat with the managing editors at UMass Press. I check in with friends. I push myself to be sociable. It feels important.

Thankfully today is Friday, so tomorrow Tom can stay home for two days in row.

Thankfully we all love each other.


7 comments:

nancy said...

Had a lovely class discussion on GoogleHangout yesterday with five of my students about Frankenstein and Wordsworth's "“Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey, On Revisiting the Banks of the Wye during a Tour. July 13, 1798." Woke one kid up, so he joined us shirtless and with bedhead : ) It was awkward at first, but the discussion worked, and the poem gained new meaning as we all contemplated the lines:
"how oft—
In darkness and amid the many shapes
Of joyless daylight; when the fretful stir
Unprofitable, and the fever of the world,
Have hung upon the beatings of my heart—
How oft, in spirit, have I turned to thee,
O sylvan Wye! thou wanderer thro' the woods,
How often has my spirit turned to thee!"
and so on . . .
It's unfathomable that only one week ago, our world was still "normal."
p.s. Here, all the libraries are closing. My daughter is making it her mission to keep stocking the "little libraries" in town.

Dawn Potter said...

Wordsworth. So glad to know he's here in the world with us. Your description of your class is inspiring.

Ruth said...

It is odd not to be rushing off to my various church and volunteer activities and meetings. And it is also rather lovely to be going about my day serenely. Yesterday I led a test run healing prayer service via Zoom. I've been using that platform for at least a year; however, convincing some others to at least try is challenging. Unlike many who are not usually home, my cat knows I'm always round here somewhere at some times during the day. She has her own schedule. Meanwhile the part of me that requires Me time is very happy and I stay in contact with friends, family, and try not to be offended when classified as elderly. I'm old most certainly, but not elderly!!!
Thank you for writing nearly everyday.

nancy said...

My family made me beg off helping to deliver meals on our school bus route because I am in the danger zone. Ugh. Our church is streaming services with the choir members each singing in their own homes, seamlessly. So often during the day, I tense up with the "I need to do this now," only to realize that no, I don't. That said, teaching from home is keeping me busier than I thought it would! I agree with Ruth. Discovering Dawn's blog has been a wonderful anchoring spot in my day.

Ang said...

So happy that you are all out there contributing to the common good and finding joy.

Yesterday I mailed one of my Chai Tea kits to some holed up teenagers. I sent some 75% off toys I'd bought months ago to a mom alone at home trying to work with a 6 and a 4 yr old. This afternoon we are going to buy vegetable from a local farmer and share a beer in the barn at a sizable distance!

Mostly I'm counseling and supporting one person after another as I always do. That is my job.

Keep up the good work!!!

David X. Novak said...

An "anchoring spot" is a good description, if just for a few minutes during the morning. You said, "People keep telling me: you should write about this moment in history, and maybe I will, eventually." For the moment, though, the blog is enough, and a great service (in its small way). I remember when there were zero cases of Covid-19 in Maine. It reminds me that we are all in this together, and all being affected.

Dawn Potter said...

Really, really, really grateful to know you're all out there. I have no idea if (or why) what I write on this blog is useful to readers. That may sound disingenuous, but in the present-tense moment of creating something from nothing, I generally feel that I am grasping at trivia, that I'm repeating myself, that I'm parochial. If it is useful, I'm glad, very glad, despite my bewilderment. It always feels good to help, and I know that, in the general stream of the world, my abilities are not flashy. If you think other people would benefit from this kind of letter writing--I guess I really do need to call it a quarantine diary now--then feel free to share the link with your acquaintances, or to quote from it, or whatever. Our entire social life has become virtual. So I suppose we should make the best of that and virtually attempt to help each other cope.