Monday, February 24, 2020

My poem "Sonnet in Search of Poems I've Never Written" is up on Vox Populi this morning.

Vox Populi has published a number of my poems over the years, and Mike Simms, the editor, always includes an old photo of me--one from what Tom and I jokingly call my Virginia Woolf series: "profile of pale female with bony nose." But now that my eyes are decaying faster than a speeding isotope, my VW era is over. All new photos feature "wild-haired graying female in specs." It's hard to get excited about that change. Oh well. With age comes cheerful abandon. I now wear pale blue combat boots and emote fearlessly in front of judgmental young people. On the whole that's better than being someone else's anxious doppelgänger.

Today I'll be prepping for Wednesday's Monson class, reading some manuscripts, talking on the phone about Rilke with my friend Teresa, grocery shopping, going to the gas station, and so on, and so on.

Sonnets to Orpheus [in multiple translations] + unleaded gasoline = ?

Hauling away a bag of returnable bottles + inventing "rhymed couplets speed date game" = ?

No comments: