Monday, January 6, 2020

Today, on the first Monday of the new holiday year, I'll be prepping for Wednesday's class and worrying about whether or not the class will even happen. The forecast is unclear, but even the mildest scenarios predict snow during bus time. And given that my kids will be traveling to Monson from all over the north country, this does not sound like a good prognosis for us.

Anyhow, I'll be getting myself ready, along with running errands, and going to a yoga class, and cleaning floors, and working on a poem, and maybe tinkering some more with that manuscript.

Rereading Howards End is making me a little tearful, given that it's all about a love affair with a place. I don't think I could have managed to take it off the shelf even a year ago. But my Harmony wound is not so fresh as it was.

Here's another small poem from the embryo manuscript. It appeared not too long ago in Scoundrel Time.

Walking into Town
Dawn Potter 
this road is empty for most of the day but
when the log trucks whip over the ridge
jake-breaking belching diesel 
then watch out deer

the soot-stained sky glowers
snow is on the way snow
is always on the way
& the tar is always buckled with potholes &

frostheaves & in the ditch today
old mrs richards is hunting for budweiser cans
for mountain dew bottles to trade
down at the store for baloney to feed

her grandson he’s three & he’s smart
she tells me he’s three 
& his teeth are rotting out of his head


No comments: