Thursday, January 16, 2020

Snow, steady and heavy. Local schools have been canceled, though we're not forecast to get more than a few inches total. I suppose it's the timing of the storm: right at the start of the school day.

Poor Tom still has to drive to work, but only for two miles. I have no plans to go anywhere. This morning I'll be editing; eventually I'll do some shoveling; tonight we'll have lamb hash for dinner (call it necessity mess, if you like).

Yesterday I walked to the library and picked up two copies of Rilke's Sonnets to Orpheus: one translated by A. Poulin in the 70s, the other by Edward Snow in the 2000s. I'm looking forward to a Rilke taste test.

I also reread my embryo manuscript, which I hadn't looked at since I put it together earlier in the month. Turns out I'm not unhappy with it . . . I think maybe, possibly, it mostly works.

By the way, Erdrich's Love Medicine is a really good novel. I hadn't reread it for years and was wondering how it would stand up. It does.

No comments: