Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Year, at Dawn


Here, in my small city by the sea, the gardens are heaped with snow. Ice glitters on streets and stairs. Against a blue dawn, the the chimneys loom like monoliths. It is a lonely time of day. A lonely time of year.

My sick boy has recovered and flown away. His brother remains in the house, fast asleep, but tomorrow he will fly away as well.

I will stand in the middle of a quiet room and listen to snowmelt tick against the sill.

A new year, a new decade. I have made no resolutions. I read and write and clean and cook and teach and garden and walk and lift and carry and breathe and try to be decent. Vanities erode. Losses loom. I am. You are. We muddle, together and alone.

Here's a poem that no one seems interested in publishing. But I like it still, and so I will offer it to you as a new year's gift . . . a small love song to failure, I suppose you might call it. Or perhaps a reminder to keep opening the wrong door.

To a School Janitor, Fired for Drunkenness  
Dawn Potter 
I miss your grin your cigarettes your
bow-legged grunt up down up
down the stairwells your bucket clank-clanking
 against the charnel walls your mop
hoicked under a meaty arm
your nod your swallowed tears a smear
 of wet linoleum snail-trailing behind you
oh lord why do we shrink
such mountains


2 comments:

Carlene Gadapee said...

Blessings on you and yours, Dawn!
I love the poem.

Ruth said...

Splendiferous New Year as we all step lightly into 2020 with hopes and dreams. We clang up and down in our own live, hoping, we hope, that it is a joyous noise to others. Blessings!
Thank you for this little poem.