Monday, December 2, 2019

Last night, as I was heading to bed, the first flakes began to sift from the sky, and this morning there's an inch or two of accumulation coating sidewalks, cars, and roofs . . . not an impressive amount, but our first. The storm is supposed to ramp up again tonight and tomorrow, with wind and heavier snow--maybe up to eight inches, maybe less. I'm looking forward to it.

Yesterday I bought a tiny cypress, repotted it, and ensconced it on the Victrola as this year's Christmas tree. Though you can't tell from the photo, it's a dramatic reenactment of Canada: Mountie performed by trumpet-blowing tin soldier; Sasquatch performed by a lurking rubber King Kong; a cameo appearance by famous Canadian resident Santa, who is playing soccer because I couldn't find anything resembling hockey in the ornament box. Below are a canoe and a polar bear. I am considering adding a pin that says "Nice."

Later in the day Tom decorated the fireplace with lights--including the wood box. I call it the Temple to Heat and am sham-threatening the cat with talk of augury and animal sacrifice. Thus are the holidays celebrated at the Alcott House.



2 comments:

Carlene M. Gadapee said...

I chuckled aloud when I read of the "Nice" pin...=) I was immediately transported to the Barn, and to good friends, and I'm wistful.
Have a wonderful snowy day. We've already had quite a lot, and I'm growing weary of boots already.
Miss you (and all of our Frost Friends...)

David (n of 49) said...

Love it! A true essence, eh? ;) Otherwise, ditto, so very ditto, Carlene's.