Friday, December 13, 2019

Here's a recent poem, "The Regret of the Poet after Sending Work to a Magazine," that's up at the Cafe Review. Yesterday I posted a link to the poem on Facebook, and among other kind responses I received a "Lovely!"  from the great poet A. E. Stallings, which completely made my day. I hope you pardon my small crowing.

Except for a couple of loose author ends to tie up on an editing project, I am now closed for the season: no teaching, no editing until January. Today I'll go to a yoga class, and then maybe do some Christmas shopping, maybe read some books, maybe sort through some poems, maybe bake some cookies . . .

Yesterday I whipped up a syllabus for a poet friend who is struggling with his work and thinks that a crash course in form might help him out. I had a really good time coming up with a three-month plan. I'm wondering how many other people would like such a class. I've conceived of it as a kind of exercise program for writers who automatically reach for free verse.

6 comments:

Carlene M. Gadapee said...

If you are packaging up "training programs" I can assure you, I'd love one. =) Maudelle has given me a challenge to write two poems by next Tuesday. If your program is for sale, mark me down for one!! I need external accountability.

Wouldn't it be fun to do an poetry exercise book with interspersed recipes? Hm.

Carlene M. Gadapee said...

wow...grammar oops. A poetry exercise book. mea culpa.

Dawn Potter said...

The syllabus I drew up is exercises rather than full-blown poem prompts (kind of like music scales for poets), but if you're interested, I'm happy to share it.

Carlene Gadapee said...

I'd love to try them out! I could use some verbal arpeggios..

Maureen said...

A.E. Stallings: you're right to crow. I'm always amazed who is out there still reading blogs.

Dawn Potter said...

Blogs are a passe forum these days. Kind of why I cling to mine . . .