Monday, October 1, 2018


This was an early moment during the weekend's thrilling bookshelf-installation project. The shelves are Tom's own design and fabrication: repurposed meranti boards (detritus from someone's fence and deck) between strips of steel, sprayed black.


He's got one more bookcase to finish installing tonight, but I have been given leave to begin unpacking novels before he comes home. I can hardly wait. It has been two years since I last handled my books, and then the moment was entirely sadness--living alone in Harmony, clearing my beloved volumes from the shelves, boxing them up for an unknown future.

Today could be eventful, for I think the plumber is still planning to arrive this morning to install the sink drains and dishwasher and ice-maker hookups. Naturally I am always prepared for plumbing disappointment. But maybe, just maybe, this time will be different. . . .

3 comments:

David (n of 49) said...

One day it had to happen and here it is: the day Dawn Potter channeled Faulkner: "...it's going to begin, we all know that, we have come too far with too much at stake and that moment doesn't need even a fourteen-year-old boy to think This time. Maybe this time..." (from Intruder in the Dust)

David (n of 49) said...

P.s. Tom's shelves look brilliant!

Dawn Potter said...

Faulker! What happenstance is this ? I was just talking about Faulkner (as in "these paperbacks are in rags. Should we replace them?"