Sunday, August 5, 2018

Yesterday was exhausting. I drove two hours, played a gig under a not-entirely-waterproof tent in the pouring rain, drove a half hour north, played another longer gig, this time in a garage while the rain continued to pour, then drove two and half hours home. My feet feel moldy, my hair is standing on end, and my violin pegs swelled so much in the humidity that I could barely tune the instrument.

However, the payday was good. And I ate fried clams and pulled pork. So that's something.

Today, thank goodness, will be dry, and I slept in till 7 a.m., so that was a novelty. I've mostly finished prepping for my two-day teaching excursion next week, but I'd like to spend some time with the poem I wrote on Friday, despite the considerable amount of house and garden work waiting for me. I'm know I'm procrastinating about deciding what I want to do with my sheaf of new writing: should I insert it into the existing manuscript, or use it as the seed for a future one? I'm also struggling to find a book I want to read, though for the moment I've settled on Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford. In other words, I've got something edgy going on in my mind as regards books, and I'm not sure how I'm going to solve it.

1 comment:

Carlene Gadapee said...

I think you redefined busy. =)
I'm midway through A Gentleman in Moscow (Amor Towles--I deeply appreciated his first book, The Rules of Civility) and I love it--just in case you want a book that, amidst a lively plot, manages to weave in beautiful passages about both food and poetry, history and honor, and what it means to be a person who truly embraces noblesse oblige.

I really wish, too, that you'd had a chance to meet the summer poet, Nicole Homer. She is a rare human being--funny, smart, talented, and very outgoing. I'm glad to know her. (Maybe she'd like to come to the CPT?? hm...)

Hope all is well with you and yours.