Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Greetings from Portland, Maine, where I have landed again after a week of rambling. It was so good to spend a week with my boy, but I'm still glad to be back in my own bed. It's funny how attached one can get to a particular set of pillows and sheets, even to an ancient and familiar mattress.

Today I'll immediately be rushing back into work stuff: Frost Place and editing matters, and then an afternoon in the classroom, but I hope to find a chance to potter in the garden. My mother bought me some seedlings to plant, I have a new crop of weeds and maple sprouts to wrestle, the lawn patch is hairy . . . the usual situation after a few spring rains and a week in absentia.

While on my travels, I finished Lincoln in the Bardo, which I ultimately liked a great deal. Now I need to dig out something else to read from the boxes in the dining room.

2 comments:

Carlene said...

Have you any suggestions for books that have food and tradition as a focus?
Just curious...making a suggested reading list, and I've got some good ideas, but I'd welcome any you might know of!

... yes, by the way. One's own bed, sheets, and placement of things like toothpaste matter. All ties in with the home arts thread, I think!

David (n of 49) said...

I think Marilynne Robinson's "Home" might fit your criteria.