Sunday, October 9, 2016

This morning I am thinking about political cowardice but also about the devastation of Haiti. It is stunning how thoroughly Trump's lewdness and sexual aggression have distracted Americans from the fact that a thousand people have been killed by a hurricane in a nation just off the shores of their own.

So what accounts for this immense and horrified response to a man whose entire life has been a document to his awfulness? We didn't learn anything new about him. All we did was overhear him framing his actions into words.

As I listen to other women react, I am beginning to recognize what's going on here. The question is: are there any women in this world who have not, in situation after situation, been targeted, derided, damaged, reduced, or labeled simply for being female? I have never met one.

Trump's words do more than "strike a chord." They eat into a soul.

That said, I am now going to donate money to the Red Cross for Haiti.

No comments: