Sunday, May 1, 2016

For two mornings in a row, I was up and out of the house without time to write to you . . . and that's likely to happen again later this week, so be forewarned. This time we were taking a fast trip south to celebrate the screening of my older son's 20-minute feature film--what the school calls his Division 3 project, the culmination of his four years of work at Hampshire College. It was lovely moment, filled with nerves and pride--so many friends and family members celebrating with him, and all of us so extremely happy and proud of him . . . and in two weeks we'll do it again for graduation proper. And then he will step off into his new life.

Among the other pleasures of the visit was the unexpected road trip I took with my son's closest childhood friend, who wanted to come down for the screening but had no car. So he and I spent 10 hours or so in the car together, chattering about all kinds of stuff, singing along to albums, discussing World War I history and local politics and ex-girlfriends, and on and on. It was entirely charming to spend so much time with a young man I once used to refer to as my "third son."

But it's also good to sit still, for the moment anyway, before I'm off again midweek, this time to teach for two days in New Hampshire: Thursday at the White Mountain School and Friday at the Lisbon Community School. The White Mountain School is also hosting a reading on Thursday evening that is free and open to the public; so if you're in the area, please do come give me a hug. I've been in need of them lately.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Wishing you safe travels. . . and congratulations on the teaching gigs but, more important, kudos to your son. May he follow his passion!

Dawn Potter said...

Thanks for all of your good wishes, Maureen!