Thursday, March 31, 2016

Day 2: The Trip to California

I write this sitting in the shelter of a short prickly plant next to the Los Angeles Convention Center. In front of me is a plaque celebrating the construction of this center. You may not know that members of the Executive Committee (1960-1969) of Greater Los Angeles Plans, Inc., included Oscar A. Trippet and  A. J. Cock.

Around me huddles a scattering of AWP attendees sitting alone at small cafe tables eating bananas and not making eye contact. Clearly this prickly bush spot is the designated introvert area. Their ages span "college magazine intern" through "full professor."

The temperature is about 10 degrees lower than balmy.

Next to the convention center is the Staples Center, home of the Los Angeles Lakers. They are a basketball team. You might have heard of them.

I have not yet brought myself to walk through the book fair and look for people I know. That will come later, after I finish my stint here with the introverts.

You'll be glad to hear, however, that my hotel bed is possibly the most comfortable bed ever made. It is astonishing. Also, no cats woke me in the night. I am living in the lap of luxury, if you don't count the sad people on the street corners.

No comments: