Monday, July 6, 2015

The gods of the Goodwill are always a powerful force in my reading life; and a few weeks ago, just before I left for the Frost Place, they stepped in once again. While browsing among the dingy romance novels, I discovered Langston Hughes's 1960 anthology An African Treasury: Stories, Poems, Articles, and Essays by Black Africans--a first edition, in nearly mint condition, with the original dust jacket.


Then, this past weekend, Tom came home from the Harmony dump with Arna Bontemps and Langston Hughes: Letters, 1925-1967, also a first edition (though not of the age and magnitude of the African Treasury).


It seems that I am being instructed to embark on a Langston Hughes reading project.

4 comments:

Carlene said...

Hm. Which makes me wonder...would it be a fun thing to do, maybe in August, to embark on another group discussion thing like we did with Rilke? I've very little experience with Langston Hughes and Claude Mackay. It might be fun?

Ruth said...

Sounds like a good idea

Dawn Potter said...

Hmm. We'll have to think about this. If you're looking for variety, another possibility would be to read a Harlem Renaissance anthology.

Carlene said...

That would be good, too...but I need the discussion group!