Saturday, June 6, 2015

The essay I posted yesterday is not a new one, but so many journals have rejected it that I finally gave up on publication and put it up on the blog. At least now it has eight readers instead of zero.

The market for literary essays has waned considerably during the past few years. I used to be able to place such pieces fairly easily, but this is no longer true. Am I a more boring writer than I used to be? Or are literary journals cutting their ties with the belle-lettrist tradition?

On the bright side, The Conversation has finally gone to the printer and should be available at the Frost Place. Contributors, I hope to have comp copies available for you soon.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlene said...

Congrats on the printing!! And I, too, wonder about the lack of longer, thought-filled essays in journals. Even the scholarly journals seem to be heading into the shorter, less challenging is better mode. Sound byte society, I guess. Seems to me that the whole point of writing an essay of erudite and thought-filled work is to take the reader along with you (the writer) on a journey, and end up somewhere together, in a sort of conversation.

Dawn Potter said...

That's how I feel about essays, too, Carlene. It's interesting to hear that the academic journals are making a similar move . . . though now I'm really starting to feel like a dinosaur.