Thursday, May 28, 2015

Later today I'll be heading to Portland for this evening's Maine Literary Awards ceremony. In 2010 I won the nonfiction prize for Tracing Paradise, and I have since been a finalist for poetry (How the Crimes Happened) and anthology (A Poet's Sourcebook). I think it's unlikely that I'll win this year: my competition includes former state poet laureate Betsy Sholl, Bates College professor Crystal Williams, and University of Virginia lecturer Claire Millikin. On the other hand, it's surprising and gratifying to be on this list at all . . . which is to say, famous people such as Richard Ford are also finalists, and who knows, I might step on his feet or spill a drink on him or something.

What I am actually trying to explain is: Argh, I have no idea what to wear.

No comments: