Thursday, February 12, 2015

Upcoming stuff

* On Saturday, February 14, Stutzmans' Cafe in Sangerville, Maine, will be open for a special Valentine's Day dinner, featuring music by my band, the Doughty Hill Trio. Doors open at 6 p.m. Cost is $12 a person--a nice cheap date on this obligatory day of dates. Even my own date says that he plans to attend, and this is the man who forgets Valentine's Day every year.

* On Wednesday, March 4, I'll be reading at the Portsmouth Poet Laureate Hoot (why is it called this? I do not know), at Cafe Espresso in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The reading starts at 7 p.m., with two featured poets (I'm one of them; Hope Jordan is the other), and is followed by an open mic. (I don't know about you, but I always want to spell this as "open mike" because to me "open mic" looks like it should be pronounced as "open mick" which sounds like a rude thing to say to an Irish person.)

* On Friday, March 13, I will be a judge at the state finals of New Jersey's Poetry Out Loud competition, held at Princeton University. I have judged many Maine iterations of this contest, and it will be interesting to see how the NJ version varies. Last year's winner was a finalist at the nationals, so I'm looking forward to an outstanding program. Afterward I'll be spending a night or two in NYC, wishing I could go see "Hamilton" at the Public, but there are no tickets available and who can afford those prices anyway?

* And on Saturday, March 21, the Doughty Hill Trio will be playing at Pat's Pizza in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine, 7-10 p.m. This is a place where you can drink beer and watch TV and talk loudly to your friends and listen to music, all at the same time, even if you're in the band.

2 comments:

Carlene said...

You lead such a varied and full life... =)

Yes, I'm jealous.
My itinerary is dull, with highlights such as laundry and grocery getting.

Enjoy the Hoot. And yes, we ALL now want to know why it's called that.

Dawn Potter said...

Think of these as blips between the laundry and the grocery getting.