Saturday, January 3, 2015

Vox Populi, an online magazine with a focus on politically progressive essays and poetry, has decided to reprint several of my previously published pieces, and they'll be appearing over the course of the next few weeks. This pleases me: not only is publication always sweet, but few magazines are willing to reprint material, even work that has had limited circulation. I've always wondered about this. Different kinds of publications have different kinds of audiences, and their overlap is bound to be minimal, so why not be open to reprints?

Today the magazine is featuring an essay that most of you have already read: "Hated by Literature," which centers around my teenage reading of The Autobiography of Malcolm X. However, it's featured alongside a 1994 documentary about Malcolm X; and if nothing else, you might want to take a long look at the photo of me staring at the photo of Malcolm. Yikes.

No comments: