Monday, December 1, 2014

Monday morning, 7 a.m.: 30 degrees, with a warmish breeze and a dim cloud of mist rising from the clotted snow. The air is the color of smoke.

I've been thumbing though translations of work by the ninth-century Chinese poet Cold Mountain (Hanshan). The book is filled with what must be gems, yet I can't exactly make them refract clarity into my own life. For instance--
The wine of wisdom is so cold
drinking it makes me sober
and more confusingly
A child who doesn't have a teacher
will never catch a city rat
It's puzzling, this disconnect. I begin to understand what he is saying, and then I don't. Although my ignorance doesn't exactly worry me, it does make me feel off balance, as if I'm slightly drunk or am coming down with the flu; and the sensation flows into this odd smoky daylight, first dawn of December--the house suddenly quiet now that the washing machine has kicked off, a ticking clock rising into the void like a soloist.
People can't explain
the reason they're so crazy
there's a road but not to town
only mindless men can climb 
Hey you people who leave home
what does leaving home mean
Who knows how to catch rats
doesn't need five white cats
if you can't make sense of this
I suspect you'll die of anger

4 comments:

David said...

sounds like a fine description of what it must be like in the zen zone. :-)

Ruth said...

I especially like the first one. When you realize what you don't know, it IS rather sobering!!
Welcome to December; 12/12 of 2014!

Carlene said...

O my, I desperately love "a ticking clock rising into the void like a soloist."

So clean.
So controlling.
Perfect.

Dawn Potter said...

I was pretty happy when that soloist simile showed up.