Sunday, August 10, 2014

* The boys and I are heading west to Vermont for a few days . . . the last hurrah of summer before J goes back to college and P dives into preseason soccer practice. I'll talk to you along the way.

* I've been rereading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I still love this book, and I still laugh at the characters and the conversations, and I still can't understand any of the logic jokes.

* Is there another reading project you'd like to do together on this blog? (Don't say Ulysses.)

* How did your garlic do this year? Mine is the best ever, but I still can't seem to grow onions that get any larger than teaspoons. Leeks, yes; scallions, yes; onions, no. Why?

* Next year I'm growing a lot more kohlrabi because I invented a delicious salad and now I don't have enough materials to make it. However, I might also try this with raw turnips.

Kohlrabi Slaw

Peel as many little purple kohlrabi (kohlrabis?) as you can find. Then peel a carrot or two. Using a mandoline or a grater, shred them all into a bowl. Add 1 large clove of garlic, pressed; a lot of chopped fresh cilantro; a soupcon of rice vinegar; a dash of olive oil; coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. If your family is like my family, they will complain because I didn't make enough.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Well, I have decided it is time to reread Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain and I know David is reading Proust. I am in awe of him for that project.

I am NOT fond of cooked turnip; however, raw turnip? Yum! I'll bet the salad would be so good.

Carlene said...

In order:
Nice to have a last hurrah vaca!
Reading Ulysses once was more than enough, thanks--but a piece of fiction would be cool. I just finished Cloud Atlas a couple of weeks ago...it was amazing. I have to re-read To the Lighthouse for a fall grad class--maybe there's interest?
The slaw sounds good, but I'm allergic to cilantro. sigh. (Major asthma trigger from the oils)
Enjoy your respite...I'm still cleaning.