Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I had a banner day at the Bangor Goodwill yesterday: six books and a beautiful $9.99 leather jacket. My book haul was mostly contemporary fiction by writers whose books I've been meaning to read: Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies, Zadie Smith's White Teeth, Nicholson Baker's Vox. I also added to my Margaret Drabble collection with The Witch of Exmoor and found a lovely tiny Nelson Classics edition of John Buchan's The Thirty-Nine Steps. My best find was Edith Hamilton's Mythology, one of my childhood obsessions. My mother owned a ramshackle paperback that I more or less destroyed with rereading. I've since tried to find my own copy but could only track down an edition that had been misbound so that large stretches of pages repeated each other. But yesterday, waiting meekly among the Lance Armstrong biographies, was a beautiful hardcover, dust jacket intact. I cannot wait to read it again.


No comments: