Saturday, April 5, 2014

A four-hour, late-night gig at a crowded, noisy bar, followed by two hours of snow and slush and unplowed roads and slipping tires and 3 o'clock in the morning and AM talk radio.
Radio host [with immense gravity]: Well, as director of the Extraterrestrial Research Institute, you have a special interest in why rock-and-rollers seem to have such an unusual attraction to UFOs.
Radio guest [equally grave]: Yes. Yes, I do. 
Radio host: I'm curious, of course. Do you have any theories as to why this might be? 
Radio guest: Yes. Yes, I do. [pause] And what my research tells me is [pause] rock-and-roll stars are on the road all the time. So they see more. 
Radio host [respectfully awed]: Mmm, yes, mmm.
Punchy driver and passenger collapse in hysterical laughter. Fortunately van does not go off the road. [P.S. We did not see any UFOs, but that might have been because of the heavy snowfall.]

No comments: