Sunday, January 26, 2014

"Sunny and cold, with a high near 10. Wind chill values as low as -17. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph," chirps a brisk little predictor at the National Weather Service. Sounds almost idyllic, almost as if I might be able to spend fifteen minutes outside without suffering.

I've been having so much trouble with my hands; I can't seem to keep them warm, even when I'm wearing three pairs of gloves. Ice is creeping under the front door. Yesterday I ran forty times around the circuit of my kitchen and living room and never felt like I needed to take off my sweater. Our house is small and reasonably well-insulated, and the woodstove burns and burns. But I can't stop shivering.

It would help if we could get some sunlight blazing through these south-facing windows. Maybe today really will be better than yesterday. And the day before. And the day before that.

No comments: