Sunday, December 8, 2013

New Books by My Friends

A couple of months ago I wrote here about Tom Rayfiel's most recent novel, In Pinelight. If my praise wasn't enough to encourage you to read this book, then check out this beautiful, precise review on Bookforum.




Baron Wormser, my friend, teacher, and colleague at the Frost Place, has just published his first novel, Teach Us That Peace. I haven't read it yet, but I have read some of his new poems, which are stunning. So there's no doubt he's writing well these days. I'll have more to say about the specifics of this book eventually; but seeing as a bunch of you already know Baron's work very well, I wanted to let you know that it's available.



Meg Kearney, who will be guest faculty at the 2014 Conference on Poetry and Teaching, has just released her picture book Trouper, a fictionalized version of the story of her own dog. I've met this dog, and he is without doubt on the top-ten list of Nicest Dogs I Have Ever Met. Moreover, the book is illustrated by Caldecott Honer-winner E. B. Lewis. It's a lovely, understated tale with pictures that are both hyper-realistic and oddly atmospheric.


And now I'm off to play music at Stutzman's Cafe in Sangerville. Come by for breakfast and/or wish me luck with my brand-new-replacement-string wonky-pitch troubles.

No comments: