Friday, October 18, 2013

It has been pointed out to me that I am not as good a poet as I wish I were, which is not news, but still: is it necessary to smack someone when she's already moody and tired? Despite this setback, I take the risk of mentioning that I finished revising a poem today, and I am pleased with it. I will not publish it here because I want to reserve the possibility of submitting it to a journal. But if you are interested in any of the following topics--the 1946 World Series, air pollution, punctuational experiment, the Nuremberg trials, or men's hats--I would be glad to show it to you.

In other news: rain, Red Sox, Republicans, Ruckus, revision, reliquaries, ruefulness, Rilke, Rastafarians, and reverb.

Also, Ozymandias and obstinacy.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

I can't imagine saying that to anyone. I just don't "get" what is accomplished by being nasty.

Hope you have time to rest this weekend, and that you enjoy the loveliness of autumn.

Ruth said...

Honesty is not nastiness. Really, is there no civility? I echo Maureen's wish for you this weekend.

Carlene said...

I am in love with the juxtaposition of Rilke and Rastafarians.

Imagine, if you will, a conversation of Rilke's, done in a Jamaican accent. Sure thing to cheer you up. =)

If you were here, I'd treat to coffee and give you banana blueberry bread. Since you are not, I suppose I only have this to say: there is a part in my HUGE PAPER that will make you smile and smile and smile...a student's comment (fully quoted) about why taking hand written dictation of a poem (as we do) is the best way for him. In fact, I think I'll just send that quote to you in a message.