Saturday, August 31, 2013

Since I was 23 years old, I have built my daily schedule around morning and evening barn chores. And now my barn is empty. I went out yesterday morning, and Lulu had died in the night. I spent a few hours digging a grave and hauling a body and cleaning out the barn. And today it is all over. There is no need for me to feed or water or clean or worry over anything outside the walls of my own house. It is a very, very strange feeling.

To distract myself, I decided to enter something in the Harmony Fair's farm and garden show. I chose two kinds of cut flowers--dahlias and nasturtiums--as well as a mixed-herb arrangement. But I am most optimistic about my green beans. I think they're the most beautiful beans I've ever grown.




3 comments:

Maureen said...

How sad Lulu is gone and the barn is empty. Your post reminds me of the time, so many years ago, when our pet lamb Sport died. He was something else!

Dawn Potter said...

Thanks, Maureen. And Sport is such an excellent name for a sheep.

Mr. Hill said...

I'm really sad about this, too, Dawn. So sorry to hear it.