Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Monday

I'm having a difficult time concentrating, ensconced as I am amid kitten-poodle frenzy. Yesterday, distracted and excited by such peppy cuteness, the dog tore a hole in the couch. This morning the peppy cuteness is racing around my bedroom eating slippers, attacking cords, biting my feet, and yowling. The excitement is nonstop, and I can see how it might drive anyone to tearing a hole in a couch.

Anyway. Weather report: pouring rain, as usual. Will I ever be able to pick strawberries? It seems unlikely. Desk report: one book to edit, one book to write, one poem on the burner. Kitchen report: something without strawberries. Garden report: slugs.

I've been rereading Willa Cather's My Antonia, and you should too. Lord, what beautiful writing. And today I'll be ordering the selected poems of Donald Justice, several of which we were studying with Baron last week. "Psalm and Lament" . . . talk about a poem I wish I'd written. Goodness gracious.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

MY plants/garden (?) are wearing life preservers!!!

But, Oh, that poem, how simply true. thank you for sharing. wish I could have stayed.

Maureen said...

Thank you for the link to the Justice poem. I first came across the poet's work when I was in college. I think the first collection of his I bought was 'The Summer Anniversaries'. I have his 'Collected Poems'. He's not often mentioned, it seems, but I have always found his poems to be wonderful, and among those I often re-read.