Monday, April 15, 2013

Perhaps Odin and Thor have finally stomped off into someone else's yard. Yesterday afternoon I found a patch of dry land, and dug it up, and it was black and thawed and full of earthworms. My heart is lifting. The boy's track shorts are drying fitfully on the line. The joyous poodle skips through the puddles. The wheelbarrow is full of last year's sticks and stems. The green onions and chives are thrusting through the soil; dandelions are lurking among the stones. My garden proper is still covered with snow, but a robin is striding across the driveway, and the pileated woodpeckers are shouting romantically in the dead trees.

Here's a String Field Theory cover of a Richard Thompson song, "1952 Vincent Black Lightning."   We don't do too many covers, but this one is my favorite.

2 comments:

Helen in South Australia said...

Just wanted to add my voice to those of a few days ago to say that your blog is one of a very small and select group that I read almost every day. I especially enjoy the entries to do with poetry, but I also love hearing about the weather and the music and the earthworms and all the stuff of life. I am amazed and inspired by all you do and I really hope you will keep on talking with us about it.

Dawn Potter said...

Helen, thank you so much. Thank you. I am incredulous about having so many distant readers. It gives me heart.