Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Prayer from William Blake

Letter to Thomas Butts, April 25, 1803 
I have a thousand & ten thousand things to say to you. My heart is full of futurity. I percieve that the sore travel which has been given me these three years leads to Glory & Honour. I rejoice & I tremble "I am fearfully & wonderfully made". I had been reading the cxxxix Psalm a little before your Letter arrived. I take your advice. I see the face of my Heavenly Father he lays his Hand upon my Head & gives a blessing to all my works why should I be troubled why should my heart & flesh cry out. I will go on in the Strength of the Lord through Hell will I sing forth his Praises. that the Dragons of the Deep may praise him & that those who dwell in darkness & on the Sea coasts may be gathered into his Kingdom. Excuse my perhaps too great Enthusiasm. Please to accept of & give our Loves to Mrs Butts & your amiable Family. & believe me to be be-- 
Ever Yours Affectionately 
WILL. BLAKE.

This is the prayer I would like you to read at my funeral service. Please also play Aretha Franklin's version of "Train to Jordan" and either Otis Redding's or Sam Cooke's version of "A Change Is Gonna Come." Then I want you to eat good food and do a lot of laughing.

The full text of Blake's letter appears in A Poet's Sourcebook. If, by any chance, you own the book, and can bring yourself to do so, I would be so happy if you'd consider reviewing it. Even the briefest of Amazon remarks would do . . . a blog mention would be delightful . . . but you might consider literary or educational publications as well. They are frequently on the lookout for reviewers. And thank you, as always, for your friendship.

No comments: