Thursday, January 17, 2013

Today's list of stuff to do: shovel snow, check proofs of the giant poem that's coming out in Beloit, lament over my broken snowshoe, figure out how to make a vegetable broth for soba noodles, pick up kids after play practice, learn some fiddle licks to go with (1) "Ain't Misbehavin" and (2) "1952 Vincent Black Lightning," try to get readers and teachers to think about the faint possibility of considering the idea of buying and/or reviewing my anthology [sigh], transcribe more bizarre and distressing commentary from the 1859 blow-by-blow newspaper article "Trial of the Negroes for the Murder of W. Sealy Zimmerman," think about Mennonites, make my kid fold his laundry, make my husband stop telling my kid to stop repetitively singing the same Canadian folk song about the doomed Franklin expedition ("and, honey, you need to also quit trying to drown him out with Yo la Tengo"), grapple with the irritations of social networking, prepare the barn animals for another round of intense cold, shovel snow, read Mr. Bridge, think about Andrew Carnegie, haul firewood, apply for jobs, buy more toothpaste, let the dog in, let the dog out, let the dog in, drink tea, remember to eat lunch, sit in the yellow chair, write, second-guess myself, write, second-guess myself, shovel snow, let the dog in, read Mr. Bridge, think about the murder of W. Sealy Zimmerman, think about murder, think about the witnesses who weren't witnesses but imagined what it might have been like to be witnesses, think about the confusions of fear and memory and assumptions and anger, let the dog out, write, sit in the yellow chair, remember that I still haven't figured out how to make that vegetable broth for soba noodles.

10 comments:

Ruth said...

puree the vegetables....first things first????

Dawn Potter said...

Can't puree; I need a clear broth. One thing I can tell you: it will have a lot of garlic in it. Garlic is the kind of mood I'm in.

Maureen said...

An article I saw in the health section of yesterday's newspaper lauded dog ownership for its exercise potential. . . for the owner, not so much the dog. The writer clearly had never owned Westies for whom walking means a lot of starting, moving two feet, and stopping before picking up the pace again. I make up for it all by having to go up and down three flights of stairs a day to take the boys out.

Thomas said...

Yo la Tengo! Can't fault the man for his choice of retaliation. Does he like their new album?

Carlene said...

how did the broth come out? I am envisioning carrot, mushroom, garlic, and maybe spinach? It would be a weird color though. Sweet, earthy, savory..? Kale?

Dawn Potter said...

Tom: As far as I know, he hasn't acquired it yet but I'm sure it's on his list. And Maureen: some days I can't decide if my days are constructed around the convenience of children or the convenience of dogs.

Dawn Potter said...

Carlene: it's got an onion, garlic, dried mushrooms, and a knob of fresh ginger. I'll let you know how it tastes in about 2 hours.

Carlene said...

ooo...somehow I think you need lemongrass for that soup.

If it's good, though, please let me know. My daughter adores soba noodles. And udon. =)

Dawn Potter said...

It came out really well, Carlene. At the last minute I added tamari and served it with chunks of miso-baked tofu, green onions, bean sprouts, and the noodles. I'm not nearly on the level of a real Asian noodle house, but I'll definitely keep working on this. My son has decided to be a vegetarian, so I'm having a good time expanding my repertoire. And when I can convince my husband to have second helpings of tofu, I really feel successful!

Carol Willette Bachofner said...

add: listen to Madeleine Peyroux's "Don't Pick a Fight With a Poet" for the umteenth time.