Saturday, January 5, 2013


The Old General’s Equipage Trunk

            1784

Dawn Potter

It shields my tangled affairs:
2 leather Cases, 1 linen Valise,
alongside my Marquee, Sheets,
Quills, and Camp-chairs,

my Tent-poles and Pins, flasks
of Madeira and Cherry-bounce,
Oil, Mustard, Spices, an ounce
of Laudanum, a grand Damask

Table-cloth (tho’ not enough
whole Finger-wipes remain). Tea,
a Sugar-loaf, 2 Kegs of Whiskey,
Silver Cups and Spoons, Rough

Towels, a trifle of paid Rent,
Horse Blankets, Sheaves of Deeds,
a Telescope, 3 Missives yet to read
from that Rarity: a Sensible Tenant.

1 Survey-chain, 8 Cookery-Pans,
the vicious Slanders of a Citizen
evicted from my Denizens,
the drawing of a Tavern plan.

Map of this Road we broke
2 score and 10 strange Years ago—
Braddock’s last Memento.
Ah, my slipping Days. A Yoke

of Oxen, fat and slow, halts cheerfully to lie
in Meadows where I once thought to die.

[first published in The Fourth River, issue 9 (2012)]


2 comments:

Ruth said...

love this!!

Maureen said...

Wonderful, Dawn! Thank you for sharing it. Congrats on the poem's publication in 'The Fourth River'.