Monday, November 12, 2012

It's Black Cake season again

Today is the day I mix up my annual batch of Emily Dickinson's Black Cake. I thought I was running late this year; but when I went to track down the recipe link, I noticed that in fact I'm right on time. Unfortunately, once again I cannot find candied citron in any local store, and I refuse to substitute that nasty lurid stuff labeled "fruit cake mix." Last year I used dried pineapple, but I didn't think it was particularly interesting, so this year I'm going to try dried cranberries. My hope is that they'll add a soupcon of tang to the mixture, which was one of the nice things about the citron. And to make up for the lovely glassy paleness of the citron, I'm going to increase the proportion of yellow raisins. I'll let you know how it all works out.


3 comments:

c said...

I think it's uniquely appropriate to add cranberries anyhow...very "New England" of you. =)

Dawn Potter said...

Also, I ended up having to use maple syrup instead of molasses. The New England theme is taking control apparently.

Carlene said...

might affect the flavor more than the cranberries...lighter flavor. Hm. Could be onto something...