Monday, October 15, 2012

On Thursday I shipped out the proofs of my forthcoming anthology, A Poet's Sourcebook, and this morning I turned in the final manuscript of my next poetry collection, Same Old Story. Next to clear off the desk: two editing projects and several teaching syllabi and some Frost Place paperwork, and then maybe, just maybe, I might find myself beginning to write again.

Composing yesterday's post reminded me of the many years I've been planning to write an essay about growing up in the daughter generation of writers such as Sexton and Plath. I'm not sure why I keep postponing that essay, but one of these days I'm going to have to gird my loins and start attacking the issue.  Last winter I even began to imagine teaching a course from that point of view--a general-interest, you-don't-even-need-to-be-a-poet-and-you-certainly-don't-need-to-know-squat-about-feminist-theory approach to the Woman Problem. But who hires anyone to teach that kind of class? And who would sign up for it? I have no idea.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

That is exactly the sort of class that Plymouth State offers in The Frost School of Continuing and community education.

Carlene said...

There are definitely classes in that sort of thing offered at many colleges, including community colleges. And I would take a course such as that!! Hm...maybe you could get certified to teach online classes, and offer them via some college or alternative HS?