Friday, October 26, 2012

Link Day

The Sewanee Review has posted a link to the opening pages of my essay "Ode to My Son's Audiobooks," which appears in the current issue. It is rather unfortunate that it breaks off in the middle of a word, but oh well.

Tonight I'll be playing with my newly reconfigured band at a fundraising dinner for Community Fitness in Guilford, Maine. As you can see, we still have band-name problems; but it's just possible that Brian and I may perform our cover of this beautiful Civil Wars song, "Twenty Years." Though I say it myself, we don't sound half bad. Neither of us looks like Johnny Depp, however.

Tonight and twice tomorrow my son Paul stars as Ichabod Crane in a very silly musical version of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" at the Center Theatre in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine. Granted, he's got a cold and is losing his voice, but the girl who plays his love interest, Katrina, makes up for that. "Mom, she sounds as good as Adele!"

And in honor of my son's theatrical debut, I offer a link to William Stafford's poem "First Grade."  I bet you've met these kids. In fact, some of them were probably you.

No comments: