Monday, October 8, 2012

In a note to me my friend Richard forged a surprising yet cogent connection between the Corso scrap I gave you yesterday--"it does tell me my soul has a shadow"--and this familiar gem, which, like Richard, I once knew by heart and used to repeat to myself while I skipped rope round and round the apartment complex where we lived in Silver Spring, Maryland, long ago in the days when I was five years old and my dad spent all day long writing his dissertation and my three-year-old sister encountered insect trouble.

My Shadow

Robert Louis Stevenson

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow--
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller like an india-rubber ball,
And he sometimes get so little that there's none of him at all.

He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close beside me, he's a coward you can see;
I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me!

One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.


Silver Spring, Maryland, 1969

Dawn Potter

In dreams, strange men steal cats from me.

Every morning I walk to school.
My teacher, Miss Sayford, wears white boots.
She is more beautiful than a princess.
Boys place "Lost in Space,"
and girls are lost also.

At home I jump rope
up and down the sidewalk
that loops like a horseshoe
around the dirt yard by the apartment,
where the crab tree grows,

where the bee is, before it stings.

[from Boy Land & Other Poems, Deerbrook Editions, 2004)]


1 comment:

Carlene said...

hm. shadows with substance...it's funny, I didn't think of the poem you just shared regarding shadows; when I read the line about the soul having a shadow, my mind jumped to the last sections of Eliot's The Hollow Men, and then, oddly, to Peter Pan.
I wonder what it is, that mankind is so possessed by the idea of shadow? Shadows, shades, dark shadows...it would seem that something, or the idea of something (its shadow?) that takes such firm root in the human subconscious must, then, have substance.