Friday, October 12, 2012

As far as I can remember, this is the first of my Chestnut Ridge poems I've shared with you. The central character in this piece is a bad-tempered British loyalist who is not too comfortable about sojourning in the wilds of colonial Pennsylvania.



Incident at Jacobs Creek

Dawn Potter

                       1775

Waiting for Mr. Crawford,
A dilatory man, like most I meet.
This be a country o’errun with Rascals,

Hot weather, and malevolent aspersions.
My late fatigues reduce me
To exceeding gloom.

The people here are Liberty mad.
So much impertinence:
I believe they suspect A Spy.

To distract, I toil up the mountain
With these lively Miss Crawfords.
We seek huckleberries,

A tedious fruit.
The girls laugh to see me whip forth
My pistol and shoot a Rattlesnake

Which had like to bite me.
Nothing but rogues in this country
And baleful heat without cease.

God save the King.
I am very uneasy to wait.
Again I ramble the wilds

With these Miss Crawfords,
But find myself weak.
The air of this Country is pestilent,

And its manners unwholesome as well.
When we come to cross a busy Creek,
I make wise motion to turn back.

Yet both glint-eyed damsels tuck
Their skirts above their knees
And ford the waters with indifference.

Every soul I meet is prejudiced
Against me. How to cherish the ladies
When even the maidens are Scoundrels?

[first published in Poetry Salzburg, spring 2012]

No comments: