Saturday, September 15, 2012

Yesterday I received an invitation to lead an essay workshop this winter. Although I write and publish essays, I'm rarely asked to teach classes that focus on them; so this challenge will be tonic. I know that some of my eight regular readers are also interested in nonfiction prose and in some cases write it themselves. So, readers, I toss you these questions:
What initially attracts you to a personal essay? What maintains your attraction? Subject matter? Narrative persona? Dramatic arc? Does lyrical prose matter to you?
And now, writers:
What troubles you most as you write? Maintaining a balance between subject and speaker? Organizing your ideas? Wrestling with a narrative persona? Dealing with a topic that doesn't have a neat or predictable conclusion? Managing the flow of your sentences and paragraphs?
Of course all of these questions are interrelated, and of course there are a million more questions to ask. But these are a few off the top of my head. I'd love to hear what you have to say.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

For starters:

Subject matter, with an opening paragraph that hooks me immediately

Beautiful, yes, lyrical, prose style. All the characteristics of fine writing (e.g., clarity, excellent grammar, excellent organization and flow, manageable length, focus on subject sustained, natural voice)

Offering me something I don't already know

Dawn Potter said...

"Offering me something I don't already know" . . . yes, Maureen, that's a very important point. Thank you so much.