Sunday, September 9, 2012

What a lovely day I had yesterday . . . nine intent, enthusiastic writers talking about Frost, Shakespeare, and Browning; every one of them writing terrific first drafts; every one of them talking kindly yet cogently about one another's revision possibilities. Plus, I found two giant edible puffballs in the grass. Plus, I learned from a participant that I have a clutch of Australian readers. Imagine!

There are days when teaching seems like the easiest job on earth. . . . I merely dictate a poem, and the class dissolves into talking, thinking, laughing, searching, writing.

Of course there are even more days when teaching feels like breaking rocks in the hot sun. Yesterday those moments were a pleasure to forget.

I'm beginning to schedule school writing workshops for the fall, and in early November I'll be on the road, starting with two days in New Hampshire. If you're interested in arranging a school visit, a workshop for adult writers, a reading, or some other sort of literary hoo-hah, now's the time to let me know. And remember, ex-teaching conference participants, the Frost Place's Shafer Family Fund is specifically designed for you. Please, please, please make use of this wonderful financial resource. Send me an email, and we'll talk.

No comments: