Saturday, September 29, 2012

If, by any chance, you were planning to come watch my band play at Treworgy Orchard in Levant, don't bother: rain has canceled the show. Instead, I will be slopping around the house in slippers, folding towels and sheets, assembling a vegetable soup, reading 1940s detective novels, checking anthology proofs, and napping. None of this will be a waste of time.

For, in the translated words of Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, a scholar and poet born in colonial Mexico in 1648, "As women, what wisdom may be ours if not the philosophies of the kitchen? Lupercio Leonardo spoke well when he said: how well one may philosophize when preparing dinner. And I often say, when observing these trivial details: had Aristotle prepared victuals, he would have written more."

P.S. This is the kind of stuff I've put into the anthology. Does it make you as happy as it makes me?