Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Yesterday afternoon I emailed the manuscript of my anthology to the publisher. At well over 500 pages long, this is the largest book I have ever created. Its dates span 850 B.C.E. to the present; the writers included come from all over the world; it features essays, poems, songs, letters, journal entries, interviews, and scripts. Of course, like any anthology, it is as limited as it is expansive. I was unable to forge a rights trail to several works I would have liked to reprint or find reliable or affordable translations of others. Authors would not respond to my requests; publishers charged absurd fees. On the other hand, a famous poet told me that I could reprint his essay if I sent him a bottle of good Scotch, and several people wrote beautiful pieces especially for this volume. It was exciting to collect such a compendium, to be in charge of deciding what would and would not make sense in this context, though of course I was always aware that my own predilections could not help but narrow its scope.

So now I just need to sit back and hope that people will read it. I still don't know if the book will be useful to anyone. Truly, the word useful is beginning to haunt me. What does it mean to a writer, a reader, an apprentice to the art? If this were a craft anthology, I might be able to invent an answer. But this is an anthology of "where poetry comes from." Inspiration is both quotidian and unexpected, and I haven't read a thing over the past year that's changed my mind about that.

7 comments:

Thomas said...

Wow, congratulations! I, for one, look forward to reading it when it's out!

Maureen said...

Congratulations, Dawn. I'm also looking forward to the anthology's publication.

Ruth said...

yeah

Carlene said...

when is the prospective pub date?
=)

exhausting and exhaustive work...

Dawn Potter said...

The date is February 2013 . . . so it should be available at next year's Teaching Conference.

Richard said...

You are a gracious lady of literature and language and add greatly to the pleasures of reading and writing poetry for your admirers. The Frost Place is often in my thoughts. Congratulations!

David X. Novak said...

I hope I get to see it.