Monday, June 18, 2012

Rhubarb pie today, and perhaps a spinach tian, but certainly a houseful of pink and white and magenta roses. I have fallen in love with my flower gardens this year. Beneath my study window the mock orange is blooming; the fragrance is like a park in Rome in May. The last of the iris cling to beauty; the spiky baptisia are just beginning to open their violet peaseblossoms; the lupines are riotous. But oh, the peonies--so gloriously blowsy, like a demimonde dance-hall belle at Maxim's.

If anyone cares to stage a scene from A Midsummer-Night's Dream in my yard, now's the time to do it.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

My peonies are seductive at present. The daisies are wonderfully naive and the roses, as one might expect, hve escaped their terrain and are thornily proceeding wherever they want!