Monday, September 19, 2011

In addition to reading English, Pig Latin, and musical notation, I am a relatively fluent reader of Middle English. This is not much to crow about, I realize. Still, every once in a while I find it bracing to copy out a random passage from Chaucer or Malory; and when, as if by magic, that random passage concerns one of my own betes noires, insomnia, I feel once again as if the literary gods are slipping me a set of (as yet) unreadable instructions.

from The Book of the Duchess

Geoffrey Chaucer

I have gret wonder, be this lyghte,
How that I lyve, for day ne nyghte
I may nat slepe well nygh noght.
I have so many an ydel thoght
Purely for defaute of slepe
That, by my trouthe, I take no kepe
Of nothing, how hyt cometh or gooth,
Ne me nys nothyng leve nor looth.
Al is ylyche good to me,
Joy or sorowe, whereso hyt be,
For I have felynge in nothynge,
But as yt were a mased thynge,
Alway in poynt to falle adoune;
For sorwful ymagyacioun
Ys alway hooly in my mynde
And wel ye woot, agaynes kynde
Hyt were to lyven in thys wyse,
For nature wolde nat suffyse
To none erthly creature
Nat longe tyme to endure
Withoute slepe and be in sorwe.
And I ne may, ne nyghte ne morwe,
Slepe; and thus melacolye
And drede I have for to dye.

[Following is my own quick, inartistic translation of the passage.]

I wonder greatly, by this light,
How I live, for day and night
I barely sleep.
I have so many idle thoughts,
Purely from lack of sleep,
That I swear I care about
Nothing that comes or goes;
Nothing is pleasant or loathsome.
All is alike to me,
Joy or sadness, whatever it be,
For I have feelings about nothing
But am a dazed thing
Always about to fall down;
Sorrowful imaginings
Fill my mind,
And well you know, it is against nature
To live this way;
Nature does not intend
Any earthly creature to endure
Sleeplessness so long and be in sorrow;
And I, neither night nor morning,
Can sleep; and thus I am melancholy
And dread that I will die.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

This brings back the memories of studying Chaucer and medieval narrative in college.

Carol Willette Bachofner said...

HwÊt!

Carol Willette Bachofner said...

and from the Wife of Bath's Tale (my favorite)

A wys womman wol bisye hire evere in oon
To gete hire love, ye, ther as she hath noon.
But sith I hadde hem hoolly in myn hond,
And sith they hadde me yeven al hir lond,
What sholde I taken keep hem for to plese,
But it were for my profit and myn ese?
I sette hem so a-werke, by my fey,
That many a nyght they songen -- weilawey!