Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I really had been looking forward to today. Both children would be back in school, the fair would be over, I would be on an editing hiatus, and I would be immersed in a day of canning tomatoes, making relish, picking grapes, and digging potatoes. One of those Keatsian "mellow fruitfulness" days, you know? But instead, as I was heating water for coffee this morning, the propane ran out. "Oh, yes, we were supposed to deliver that yesterday," said the fuel company dispatcher cheerily, when I called her at 6:30 a.m. to find out why.

Believe it or not, we do not own a microwave or a toaster oven. However, thanks to our ever-resourceful James, we discovered that one can boil a kettle on an electric panini maker. Unfortunately, he had already left for school by the time I learned that the toilet had stopped flushing. So next on my list of things to do is to jerry-rig a paperclip to the chain. I haven't even fed the animals yet. Sigh.

But I suppose this all gives me extra time to read the poetry of Zbigniew Herbert, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Gerritt VanDerwerker said...

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Carol Willette Bachofner said...

Oh sigh! It seems that Murphy is at it again for you with his cussed law. But I have no doubt that you will triumph!