Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Probably one of these days I'll bring myself to write to you about the book I'm presently rereading for the thousandth time. It is, essentially, a very bad book, so it may take me some time to figure out a way to explain why I keep rereading it. I estimate that it's at least as bad as Millbank; and though, as you know, I did manage to write an entire essay on that novel, I feel that I may not have the stamina to repeat the experience. I'm in one of those moods in which I'm beginning to imagine that I may never write another essay again. So many words; how will I ever do it?

In any case, here are some details about the book I am presently rereading:

The jolly innkeeper is described as "mine worthy host." This is not dialogue.

The yokel-ish patrons of the inn speak in mysterious dialect: for instance, instead of saying exactly, they say 'xactly.

Aristocrats = good. Revolutionaries = bad.

Sample of actual conversation: "Afraid be demmed! Do you impugn my bravery, Madame?"

I'm sure you are on tenterhooks to learn more about this fine piece of literature. Or perhaps you, too, spent long childhood hours in dark library corners with this very book. If so, you may be interested in reading what the author says about writing it:"It was God's will that I should. And to you moderns, who perhaps do not believe as I do, I will say, 'In the chain of my life, there were so many links, all of which tended towards bringing me to the fulfillment of my destiny.'"

I suppose that's as good an explanation as any for why I reread the damn thing.





3 comments:

Julia Munroe Martin said...

Too funny. I'm pretty sure I figured out (thank you google) which book you're talking about. And I'm pretty surprised to feel a little embarrassed to admit I've NEVER read it. Knowing that you're on the thousandth read, I'm wondering should I read it? Advice please!

Maureen said...

I admire you for not just once reading but re-reading a book with language like that. I'd never get beyond the first paragraph. I'll trust your judgment of its redeeming qualities.

Ruth said...

SO, guilty pleasure time, readers, which books do you own and reread time after immortal time? I reread Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain nearly every summer also E.F. Benson's Make Way for Lucia, several Miss Read books, Erica Baumeister's The School of Essential Ingredients and E.M. Dela Field books