Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Today I need to make bread, get a tire fixed, take a boy out for a haircut, edit a special-ed textbook, and continue writing a lecture about Paradise Lost. At the moment I am, as usual for this time of day, sitting at the kitchen table, drinking strong coffee, and watching bird fights at the feeder. Blue jays versus morning doves is the 7 a.m. feature.

Maine is presently enjoying its ten minutes of summer. The air is heavy with the scent of roses.

Tomorrow evening I will drive to Portland on my new tire and attend the Maine Literary Awards, which this year seems to be set up to mimic the Academy Awards. We don't know who will win but we have to make sure that our acceptance speeches are ready anyway. I think I won't win, which is fine. But it will be a long drive to Portland and back with no baseball on the radio to keep me awake.

This is a dull post, I know. I blame its dullness on the tire.

A few people wrote to me about yesterday's post, which they said made sense to them. I was relieved. Sometimes I get carried away.

6 comments:

Julia Munroe Martin said...

LOL about academy awards format -- too funny -- if you do win (which frankly I'm hoping & rooting for), don't forget to thank your faithful blog followers :) fun post, never dull!

Regina said...

Dawn, I hope you win!

Carlene Gadapee said...

Re: Academy Awards...wear waterproof mascara, and don't forget to wave to the side, not in front of your face. Wouldn't want to block the media.

Good luck, safe driving...

Maureen said...

Here's hoping you come home with an award. You deserve one.

Kathleen said...

Good luck tonight!

Dawn Potter said...

You're all so sweet! Actually my competition is stiff . . . NEA fellowship winners and such. So simply being a finalist is gratifying.

And Regina: fancy meeting you here!