Friday, April 15, 2011

Recently I was informed that blogs are an outdated communication strategy and that I am accomplishing very little by posting here every day. What cheering news! Before, I'd been worrying that this blog was one of those famous distractions a la Twitter and texting; but now that I know I'm unfashionable, I can relax again.

My patter on this subject is only partly sarcastic. It's disturbing how such silly pronouncements can make me feel bad about being behind the times, even though I like being behind the times. Being behind the times has even been a career strategy of sorts. For instance, it's why the Sewanee Review publishes my essays: because most of the people who read like I read have been dead for a while.

Anyway, now you, too, have learned that this blog is un-hip; so if you're still reading it, you will have to start facing the news of your own complicit Luddite-ness.

How ridiculous all this is. Why do people even make those kinds of pronouncements?

What would Virgil say? Let's find out. A cursory glance at the Aeneid reminds me that "the champion / never slowed by a fall, unshaken, goes back to fight / and all the fiercer, anger fueling his power now." In regards to our current topic of conversation, this seems like an overreaction, but certainly it's encouraging (so long as we're not Dido).


3 comments:

Scott said...

keep blogging, Dawn! I can't see how it's outdated, after all, it works! Not like you were carving words on stone tablets, or sending out posts via carrier pigeon.

CAPTCHA: paster, n. Main ingredient of mac 'n cheese.

Dawn Potter said...

Funny you should mention stone tablets. Before the French & Indian War, the French asserted their possession of the Ohio country by burying lead tablets in various places around the region. They were inscribed with something along the lines of "Property of Louis XV." Only one of the tablets was ever subsequently found.

Louise Gallagher said...

Oh yea! I too am 'unhip'. What a relief 'cause I know I wasn't writing to be hip. I was writing to experience healing on the journey of life. Mine and anyone who comes to visit me.

Here's to being The Unhip Blogeration!

We rock!