Saturday, February 12, 2011

"With Unbeclouded Eyes."


On these September days of softer light,
When reddened leaves are dropping from the walls,
And in the distant sky are sounds of birds,
And all is wet with dew--
Then I perceive a little of that land,
That land which human voices sometimes fill
With sudden sound; or in the hush of spring,
Or on some summer morning's early peace,
I hear its distant murmur.

And although I strive so hard to hear and see,
All, all is gone like fragments of a dream
Leaving behind a trail of coloured mist
And dim forgetfulness.

A poem such as this one is a reason for wading through the swath of Milly Jourdain's mediocre efforts. Admittedly, stanza 2 is a letdown, but stanza 1's "Then I perceive a little of that land, / That land which human voices sometimes fill / With sudden sound" is beautiful. I love the delicate repetitions, the line break between"sometimes fill" and "With sudden sound," the odd yet bracing focus on "land" rather than its details.

Downstairs Tom is making waffles, musing with James about parallel parking, and playing Miles Davis on the stereo. Paul is asleep on the couch after a painful team loss at yesterday's basketball tournament, in which, to add even more suffering to the occasion, he fouled out in the 3rd quarter. It is hard to be heroic when you foul out of your last game of the season.

Me, I am feeling melancholy but striving not to be, though melancholy is a usual and perfectly acceptable February state of mind, and often a good foundation for slow writing, clumsy snowshoeing, and absent-minded creme Anglaise stirring.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I like stanza 2, though that may be a commentary on my own poetry. This is a truly spot-on poem. What I don't care for as much is the title. Tough luck for Paul.

Dawn Potter said...

The title is mysterious to me. From the way it's punctuated, I'm assuming it's a quotation, but I haven't yet tried to track down the source.