Saturday, December 18, 2010

Rest in peace (if that's the right word), Captain Beefheart. When I was in college, I thought my boyfriends were the only people in the world who owned your records. I thought Trout Mask Replica was the strangest thing I had ever heard. I wished I'd invented the pseudonyms of your band members: Zoot Horn Rollo, the Mascara Snake.

The boyfriends and I used to quote snippets of your lyrics like secret code:
Person 1: Hi, Ella.
Person 2: Hi, Ella Guru.
Person 3: Hi, yella. Hi, red. Hi, blue, she blew.
Person 1: Hi, Ella; hi, Ella Guru.
I can't say I liked your songs, but they were influential--if one thinks of influential as weirdly pervasive and/or culturally insidious. You were in the air, and we breathed you in like second-hand pot smoke. Boyfriends enjoyed playing your records at moments when I least wanted to hear them. I forgive you, and them, and I miss you all terribly. Last night, in central Maine, one of those middle-aged boys played Ice Cream for Crow while the teenager sat indifferently on the couch talking about the challenges of Photoshopping a giraffe head onto a duck body . . . not because he despises you but because you're just the regular soundtrack that parents play while they're washing dishes. A comedown. Still, no one can take away the fact that you recorded the best version of "Diddy-Wah-Diddy" ever. I think I'll go listen to it now.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

He was something, wasn't he! This is one of the best tributes to him I've read.

Dawn Potter said...

There will never (could never) be another like him. Yet just imagine: he went to high school with Frank Zappa. I bet several of their teachers retired shortly thereafter.